Monday, March 3, 2008

Gay Cooties

Ok, the straight guy is going to talk about homosexuals, brace yourself. First of all, I don't understand any of it. I can't possibly get my mind around being attracted to another male. I guess because I am attracted to women I can more understand a woman being attracted to another woman (hell yeah, she's hot, who wouldn't dig her?). I don't understand why guys are so attracted to girl on girl action. I feel it, but I don't understand it. There's a whole shitload I don't understand about all of this. One thing I do believe, and this most likely won't make some people out there happy, is that no parent, particularly a father, is going to celebrate his son being gay. They may get used to it, they may come to terms and accept it, but it will never be more than the equivalent of coming to terms with a child with an incurable illness or disability (note; I am not calling homosexuality an illness or disability, I am talking about a perception). Sorry but there it is. Do I think it's a choice? Probably not. Can it be self-repressed? Probably, but only sometimes.
That being said, I don't understand the fear and hatred of gay people. The whole biblical argument? Bullshit. A couple lines of Leviticus that conservative Christians glom onto like a fucking limpet at the expense of an entire Messiah's worth of preaching compassion and acceptance and embracing the outsider. Has to be something deeper than that. It's not like they'll keep reproducing and replace straight people as the dominant orientation in society (if you disagree go back and study some basic, and I mean basic, biology). So what is the big deal? Let them be gay. Let them get married or whatever. Why should you care? Are all the straight guys out there worried they're going to get raped? If that was a logical fear why do women let men anywhere near them? Why aren't women trying to legislate men out of existence? Seems more justified to me.
Guy I know, happens to be gay, don't think he knows I know. He works part-time at the same-type job at two different places. He just made a decision to go full-time at one place over the other. The sub-text is the place which could probably make him a better package financially doesn't know and probably wouldn't stand for it, whereas the other is more cosmopolitan,probably does know, and cares much less. So one place loses out, and he goes somewhere somewhat less stable financially. All because of discrimination or the fear of discrimination.
What's the big fucking deal?

No comments: